Polk Shelters to Open Sunday (8/31)
Polk Shelters to open Sunday
Bartow, Fla. (Aug. 30, 2019) – Based on the current track and estimated time of arrival in Polk County of Hurricane Dorian, the following public shelters will open at 8 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 1:
• Auburndale High School, 1 Bloodhound Trail, Auburndale
• Chain of Lakes Elementary, 7001 CR 653, Winter Haven
• Davenport School of the Arts, 4751 N CR 547, Davenport
• Donald Bronson Community Center, 124 Bronson Trail, Polk City
• George Jenkins High School, 6000 Lakeland Highlands Road, Lakeland
• Horizons Elementary, 1700 Forest Lake Drive, Davenport
• Kathleen High School, 2600 Crutchfield Road, Lakeland
• Lake Marion Creek Middle, 3055 Lk. Marion Creek Road, Poinciana
• Mulberry Middle School, 500 Martin Luther King Ave., Mulberry
Special Needs shelters will also open at 8 a.m. Sunday, for those residents with special medical needs. Polk County Emergency Management’s Special Needs Program is designed to provide shelter and/or transportation for residents with medical or physical conditions and/or dependent on medical electrical equipment who require assistance during an emergency. Those staying at the special needs shelters have been prearranged and registered.
The only pet friendly shelter that will be open will be at Lake Region High School, 1995 Thunder Road, Eagle Lake. Pet owners must bring shot records for their pets, an airline-approved carrying case or crate and pet food.